Tuesday, January 16, 2007

MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING


No, it's not happening (yet). Wedding's on the way for sure, but at this very moment my best friend still manages being unmarried -thank goodness! But the end of this month will see her long-time boyfriend propose to her; family ties, ceremony and all. They've been together for ages that I knew -for ages, too- this would eventually take place. But having her telling me that she's literally stepping into the realm of matrimony opens my eyes of what it really means, both to her and to our "partnership".

Yes, partnership. That's how we label our friendship: Partners in Crimes. With her I spent my frivolous youth doing fun, crazy things good girls didn't even think of.

So my best friend, my loyal partner-in-crimes, is getting married. She sounds quite thrilled and sufficiently happy. After all the groom is an eligible guy (kind-hearted, funny, well-bred, financially secured, all the good things you can possibly name) who adores her madly. They share the same interests. What else to ask? She must be happy.

Now the crucial question: Must I be happy? I guess I must. That's the least someone can do when a friend gets married. The "I'm happy for you" stuff. That's the moral standard; good girls' answer.

But I'm not a good girl and she's not my friend. She's my partner-in-crimes. If truth be told; No- I'm not exactly in rapturous anticipation for the event. I'm going to lose my partner-in-crimes; why should I be happy? We cannot re-live the days when we were so careless and free; why should I be happy? From now on I will stand second to her in all matters -including girl things, because girl things are creeping out of her world. The supremacy of Domestic Life will claim her.

"Let's hit the mall; big sale at The Executive!"
"I can't. My child is ill."

"Quite a while since we bowled, eh? Feel like going?"
"Umm- love to, but I've got the laundry to deal with.."

The future doesn't sound very appealing both for the married lady and her humble friend.

Si, amigos, *I* sound like a venomous witch speaking out of spite. I can't help it. I asked my self if I was jealous- coz she's with a fiancé and I Mr. Not Exist. But no, I'm too content in my independency of men to bother being jealous with someone else's love affairs. Wedding -my own, that is- could be the last thing on my mind at present. And to the best of my belief, love her as I do, I'm STILL more interested in men than in women. Really, this pang I'm feeling was born merely out of the knowledge that what HAS BEEN no longer WILL BE.

It will never be the same. Say whatever you like, but the truth remains unchanged: things will never be the same once one ties the knot.

I can't say I'm looking forward to her wedding. But I'm not holding her back -can't even if I try. I'll cope with whatever becomes of the two of us, and wish her joy whole-heartedly. I guess it sums up to what she texted me one evening, "Well, life goes on". Damn right, girl. I mean- damn right, Ma'am.