Friday, May 11, 2007

HUMBLE ME

Confession. Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. Most dreadful sin of all, too: Lack of Humility.

This is what *I* think about me:
I am witty.
At times I *can* be pretty.
I am well-educated. Analytical. Creative.
I have smart conversations.
The rest of the folks are usually less bright than I am. Although not necessarily less worthy.
I can master *anything* if I care to learn it.
I am not lovable, yet some people just love me MADLY.
I am a Lady of the World. Or will be.

Throw up, ladies and gentlemen- follow my example. But you should have been prepared to face such boastful remarks; I've warned you I am not humble. Never been, 'thru all these lovely 25 years.

I don't gloat, though. No hubris either. Too well-behaved for that. (Yes, you just got it, should cut-paste to the list above: I'm proud of my manners as well. Dear me.) Thus so far, my hidden pretentiousness never does me any harm. The problem is, I begin to realise *things* about me. Like, it seems I'm no longer witty. Or I never was, and the self-deceit I had been engaging myself in has come to a screeching halt. And should it be true, all the rest of my good qualities would then be condemned questionable.

This is a solemn, aching moment- to sit and reflect upon the truth in (or lack thereof) these alleged qualities of mine.

But why bother? True or not true, I'D LIKE to keep the good opinions I give of myself. Lack of humility is better than lack of self-confidence. And way way way better than hypocrisy. Nietzsche even wrote of humility as a false virtue which concealed the frailties and hidden crookedness in its holder (what a mouthful!). You go, old man.

However, as I'm *still* sitting solemnly to contemplate all my wonderful virtues, let me finish this rambling with a solemn prayer, "Lord, where I am wrong, make me willing to change; where I am right, make me easy to live with".

There! :-)